New Berlin was formed on April 3, 1807 from
Norwich. The land is described as being
rolling and hilly. The Unadilla River forms the east border of
New Berlin and Matthewson Pond is on the west
border. The original outlet for the pond was altered by cutting a
ditch through a stone embankment. This allowed the residents to use the
water for propelling their mills.
In 1816 New Berlin contained four
churches, an academy, a newspaper office, a paper mill, a tannery, a
brewery, an iron foundry, several stores and mechanic shops and about
900 inhabitants. By 1865 the population had grown to 2,459.